From Fellrnr.com, Running tips
|Device||Cost||Status||Location1||Analysis2||Realtime3||Carry Phone4||Export13||Symmetry||Cadence||GCT||VO||Impact7||Braking||Pronation||Foot Strike||Other||Technology14|
|Stryd||$200||Highly Recommended||Footpod||Web/Export||Watch & Phone||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes15||Distance, Pace, Power, Leg Spring||9-axis|
|Running Dynamics v2||$100||Highly Recommended||Chest||Web/App/Export||Watch||Detailed||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||3-axis|
|Running Dynamics v1||$100||Highly Recommended||Chest||Web/App/Export||Watch||Detailed||Yes||Yes||Yes||3-axis|
|MilestonePod||$25||Highly Recommended||Footpod||App||Summary||Kinda6||Yes||Yes||Foot ROI8||Yes||Leg Swing||3-axis|
|Moxy||$770||Worth Considering||Calf||Export||Watch||Detailed||SmO2||IR SmO2|
|TgForce||$145||Worth Considering||Ankle||App/Export||Phone & RTAF||Yes||Detailed||Yes||Tibia11||3-axis|
|Moov Now||$60||Worth Considering||Ankle||App||Phone||Yes||No||No||Yes||Tibia11||Leg Swing||3-axis|
|Wahoo TICKR Run||$80||Worth Considering||Chest||App/Export||Phone5||Yes||Detailed||Yes||Yes||Yes||3D Smoothness12||3-axis?|
|SHFT||$300||Worth Considering||Foot & Chest||App||Phone & Audio Coaching||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Toe-off angle, Watts, Body Angle||9-axis|
|Lumo Run||$80||Not Recommended||Waist||App||Phone & Audio Coaching||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Body||9-axis|
|Sensoria||$200||Avoid||Sock/Ankle||Web/App||Phone & Audio Coaching||Yes||No||Yes9||Yes||Yes10||Foot10||Yes10||Pressure + 3-axis|
|BSX||$300||Avoid||Calf||Web/App/Export||Phone & Watch||Yes||Detailed||SmO2|
|RUNTEQ Zoi||150 EUR||Untested||Foot & Chest||?||Phone||?||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Foot||Body||Yes||Yes|
- Where does the sensor go?
- What are your options for analyzing the results?
- Can you see the data in real time? This makes a huge difference if you're trying to improve your biomechanics. "Watch" means you have real time information so on the watch which is one of the ideal approaches. "Phone" means you get real time data shown on the phone display, which if it's done right can show an awful lot of data. "Audio Coaching" means you get periodic audio messages which I find more annoying than useful. "RTAF" is Real Time Audio Feedback, which means that your hearing an indication that you're past a threshold. For example, the TgForce will be if your impact is higher than a given threshold, and it will be part of every footstep.
- Do you have to carry your phone with you? I hate carrying a cell phone when running, so this is a factor for me.
- Phone needed to get anything beyond HRM.
- You can use two pods and compare the data, but the system won't compare the results for you.
- Impact can be measured in various places, such as the foot impact, the lower leg (tibia), or the chest. The impact can be measured as peak acceleration (g's) or as rate of change of acceleration (AKA "Jerk").
- This is Rate of Impact, which is slightly different to simple impact g's (see review for a few more details).
- The $200 kit only comes with one sensor, so you'd need to by a second.
- The Sensoria measures a number of metrics, but it does so remarkably badly.
- This is a measure of the impact on the lower leg, which excludes the impact that the foot as absorbed.
- This is the rate of change of acceleration (AKA "Jerk") in three separate axis: up/down, side-to-side, and left/right.
- A sensor that doesn't allow for data export locks you into the vendor's tools.
- A 9-axis sensor can detect twisting motions through its gyroscope, in addition to the acceleration measurement of a 3-axis sensor.
- Measuring Vertical Oscillation from a footpod is a dubious proposition and the results seem unsurprisingly poor.