This site is dedicated to making you a better runner, whether you're a beginner or a competitive athlete. Many of the articles are general in nature, but specific attention is given to the marathon and ultramarathon distances. I don't claim to have any specific training beyond my own experience as a competitive ultrarunner and I advise you to Trust No One. I'm a believer in the scientific method, and so this site is a mixture of my personal perspective and my analysis of the Science of Running. I also believe that Documentation Is Evil and therefore try to keep things short and to the point. You can Contact Me to ask questions, suggest articles, or to disagree with what I've written.
1 Running for Beginners
Main article: Running for Beginners
I started running in my 30's, overweight, unfit, and without the benefit of the Internet to provide me with even the most basic of advice. I've listed the core advice and answers to common questions in Running for Beginners, which includes a plan for Starting to run, advice on Motivation, critical tips such as Cadence, and more.
2 Advanced Running
Main article: Advanced Running
If you've been training for a few years and you've mastered all the foundations of running (especially things like Cadence), then you're ready for some of the more Advanced Running topics. This covers things from the Zen like concept of Stillness in Motion, to Running Form, Altitude Training and more.
Main article: Training
The pages on training for general fitness and racing include the basics of how recovery, not exercise, makes you fitter and what happens when you do endurance training through to the various types of workout from the Long Run to High Intensity Interval Training.
4 Running Marathons
Main article: Running Marathons
If you're racing a marathon, be it your first or your fiftieth, the advice in Running Marathons will help, covering core topics like the Top 10 Marathon Training Mistakes and Top 10 Marathon Racing Mistakes, through to the much debated question of Negative Splits and the greatly overlooked Impact of Heat on Marathon Performance, plus A Comparison of Marathon Training Plans.
Main article: Ultrarunning
For those running the longest distances, the advice on ultrarunning includes the Essential Ultrarunning Tips, Fixing problems in Ultramarathons, a list of Ultramarathon Training Plans, plus specifics for the 100 mile and 24 hour races.
6 Nutrition and Weight Loss
Main article: Nutrition
Like any sport, Nutrition is important to achieve optimum performance and health. A core part of effective sports nutrition is to understand when to eat specific foods to achieve optimum recovery and weight management. There is some general advice for the The Runners Diet, along with many specifics for things like Fiber and Potassium.
7 Ketogenic Diet
Main article: Ketogenic Diet
The ketogenic diet restricts carbohydrate intake, and to a lesser extent protein intake, to the point where the body converts fat into ketones. These ketones are an alternative fuel source for most cells in the body, supplementing or replacing glucose as a critical fuel source. The ketogenic diet has the potential to help with a number of health conditions, but also has some significant potential health risks.
8 Injury Prevention and Recovery
Main article: Injury Prevention and Recovery
My success as a runner has had a lot to do with being able to fix minor problems before they become injuries. My main tools for staying healthy have Massage and Cryotherapy (icing), combined with an acute awareness of the importance of rest and recovery. The page on Injury Prevention and Recovery gives both general and injury specific advice.
9 Product Reviews
Main article: Product Reviews
Main article: Software
My utilities include the VDOT Calculator, Marathon Pace Band , SportTracks Dailymile Plugin, and more specialist software such as the Hypoxic Timer for Intermittent Hypoxic Exposure. In addition, I've documented the use of software for High Speed Video Analysis.
11 Controversial Topics
There are a number of topics where the science my personal experience has led me to a radically different and controversial opinion.
- Tempo Runs. The preponderance of scientific evidence indicates that tempo runs, also known as threshold training, is the least effective form of training and should be avoided.
- Downhill Running. For endurance runners, I believe that downhill running is the most valuable and most overlooked form of training.
- Overtraining Syndrome. I believe that Overtraining Syndrome is best considered a form of clinical depression, and concluded that running 3-4 time per week is optimal.
- Maximum Heart Rate. You have to measure Maximum Heart Rate, you can't calculate it and more than you can calculate your weight from your height.
- Lactate Threshold. Most methods of measuring lactate threshold are deeply flawed, but the valid approach of Maximum Lactate Steady State (MLSS) is difficult, time-consuming, and probably not worth the effort.
- Shoe Modifications. I cut the toe box is my running shoes open, something that seems surprisingly controversial to me.
- Ketogenic Diet. My analysis is the science and personal experimentation is unlikely to upset both sides of the low carbohydrate debate.
12 Recent Changes
This list of recent changes is automatically generated, but it should give you a rough idea of what's been published recently.
- Altra Solstice 10 August 2018
- Altra Duo 6 August 2018
- GPS Accuracy 3 August 2018
- Best Hydration Systems 3 August 2018
- Ultimate Direction Hardrocker 3 August 2018
- Ultimate Direction PB Adventure Vest 3 August 2018
- The Science of Altitude Training 27 July 2018
- ON Cloud X 23 July 2018
- What to Look for in Running Shoes 29 June 2018
- Running Hats 27 June 2018
- Fixing Heart Rate Monitor Problems 27 June 2018
- Saucony Type A8 22 June 2018
- Nike Zoom Streak LT 4 11 June 2018
- Nike Zoom Streak LT 3 10 June 2018
- SpO2 31 May 2018
- Skulpt 10 May 2018
- Body Fat Measures 10 May 2018
- Best Running Watch 9 May 2018
- Salomon Sense Ride 8 May 2018
- Altra Timp 14 April 2018
- AnalyzeFIT 28 March 2018
- Garmin Foot Pod Calibration 12 February 2018
- XOSKIN 10 February 2018
- Races 9 February 2018
- Wainwrights Coast To Coast 9 February 2018
- Self Supported Runs 9 February 2018
- Training Macrolog 7 February 2018
- Apple Watch 3 24 January 2018
- Cycling HIIT For Runners 24 January 2018
- Reebok Floatride Run 23 January 2018