There are many lists of recipes available for the Ketogenic Diet, and I've included ingredients and recipes I've found useful as well as some recommended sites for more ideas.
There are some ingredients that I've found particularly useful while on the Ketogenic Diet.
- Macadamia nuts are naturally about a 3:1 ratio, and can be mixed with butter to raise the ratio.
- Avocados are one of the few fruits that are high enough in fat to be allowed on the Ketogenic Diet.
- Of the various oils, I've found Macadamia nut oil one of the more useful as it is high in mono-unsaturated fats, has little flavor and is easily digested.
- Heavy cream, sometimes called heavy whipping cream or double cream is high in fat, tastes good and is easily digested.
- While most cheese has too much protein and carbohydrate to be widely used, triple cream brie has a much higher fat content. In the US you can find it at Trader Joe's as Saint Andre Triple Creme Brie, Belletoile Triple Cream Brie or Triple Cream Brie with Wild Mushrooms.
- My preferred sweetener is Sucralose based on my personal evaluation of the available evidence. Be careful using sugar alcohols as these may interfere with ketosis; see Net Carbohydrates for more details.
I have several recipes that I use frequently.
2.1 Ketogenic Eggnog
The basic recipe is quick and simple, but it contains a lot of calories.
- 4-8oz of heavy cream.
- 1 egg. You may have to blend the egg and then only use part depending on the ratio you are aiming for.
- A few drops of vanilla essence to taste.
- Sweetener to taste.
Blend the ingredients thoroughly; I use a hand blender. Optionally extras:
- You can substitute unsweetened cocoa powder for the vanilla. A little cinnamon goes well with the cocoa powder, as do other similar spices like ginger, cardamom, and even black pepper for that mulled effect.
- You can add 1-2 tablespoons of MCT or flax oil.
- A little unflavored phylum husk powder can be added for Fiber, but don't add too much or it will go too thick.
2.2 Dark Mojo
I've experimented with various approaches to mid-run fueling, and I've named my best approach so far 'Dark Mojo'.
- 1 part Nutella. This has quite a bit of sugar, but that should be okay as we're mixing it with other oils and taking it during exercise. Other, similar products could probably be used, or you could even mix up your own.
- 1 part MCT. I use MCT rather than Coconut oil mainly because the later will solidify in cool weather. You need to be careful taking MCT as it can cause dramatic digestive upsets. I've found that I'm okay as long as the MCT is sufficiently mixed with other oils or foods.
- 1 part Macadamia Nut Oil. This is more easily digested than the MCT and has little flavor. You can use Canola oil, which is cheaper.
To make, simply mix up in a container and it's good to take. The Nutella can settle out, so you may need to stir it before consumption. It can be drunk, as it has a thin consistency and I've not had a problem with the texture. Without the Nutella the texture is too oily and triggers the gag reflex. If you're having problems with the MCT, use more Macadamia Nut Oil and less MCT.
3 The Chocolate Edge
This mixture is like the filling of Ferrero Rocher chocolates, in much the same way that a bicycle is like a motorbike. I call this 'the chocolate edge' as it's on the edge of palatability. The recipe is similar to the dark mojo above, but uses coconut oil instead of MCT, which when refrigerated creates a smooth chocolate paste. Use 1 part Nutella to 1 part Coconut oil and 1 part Macadamia nut oil.
|Serving size||1 Tablespoon|
|Simple Ketogenic Ratio||1:2|
4 Recommended Resources
List web sites and books.
5 See Also
- The classifications and types of Low Carbohydrate Diet.
- An introduction to the Ketogenic Diet.
- My experiences with ultrarunning on the Ketogenic Diet
- How the Ketogenic Diet can be used for the treatment and management of disease.
- Health Risks of the Ketogenic Diet
- The time frame and changes that occur with Ketoadaptation
- What are Ketones
- The pros and cons of the Ketogenic Diet for athletes
- The Types of Ketogenic Diet
- My Ketogenic Recipes
- Non-Ketogenic Low Carbohydrate Diets
- Eric. Kossoff, Ketogenic diets : treatments for epilepsy and other disorders, date 2011, publisher Demos Health, location New York, isbn 1-936303-10-8, Kindle Offset 2163