ON Cloudflash First Look
I'm not a big fan of ON shoes, so trying their Cloudflash was a bit of a leap of faith. In the end, I didn't get on with the Cloudflash at all, so this is more of a first look than a full review. I found the On Cloudracer to be a reasonable, but not great shoe. By comparison, the Cloudflash has a similar weight, but far less cushioning, and the cloud racer was itself rather poorly cushioned for its weight. It's also a rather expensive shoe given what you get. It's possible that the ON approach might a lost longer than a traditional foam, but I'm not convinced the trade-off is a good one. I'd much rather have 2 pairs of the outstanding Nike Zoom Streak LT and cash left over. Overall, I rated the Cloudflash as "worth considering" depending on what you're looking for in a running shoe. (I use The Science of Running Shoes as the basis of how I test running shoes and what you should look for in a running shoe.)
- On Cloudracer for an analysis of this approach. While the cloud racer was overly firm for its weight, the Cloudflash is even stiffer. There is very little conventional foam in the midsole, and it relies mostly on the collapsible rubber hoops. In the Cloudflash, this didn't feel effective or comfortable. It's possible that the CloudTec bumps may allow the Cloudflash to last longer than conventional foam shoes, but I'd much rather replace a better shoe more often than put up with the Cloudflash. . ON use a radically different approach to cushioning, with a collapsible hard rubber loops they call "CloudTec." See my review of the
- . The Cloudflash has an 7mm drop either loaded or unloaded, which is rather more than I'm comfortable with. While many shoes with a 7 mm drop don't feel too bad, that's often because the drop is far less when the shoe is loaded, something that doesn't seem to happen here.
- . There's no structure in the usual sense; no variations in cushioning to prevent the natural movement of the foot. I found the Cloudflash didn't interfere with my running in the usual ways issue interferes, which is by limiting pronation. On the other hand, the Cloudflash never felt natural or smooth.
- . The Cloudflash is moderately flexible, and has some nice spring in the forefoot. I didn't find the CloudTec bumps to interfere or cause creases in the sole.
- . Because of the CloudTec, the Cloudflash has outsole over the entire contact patch. This should give good wear characteristics. The CloudTec bumps can act as stone traps, and while mostly they are likely to be stuck in the gap between the outsole bumps, I have a nagging concern about any stones that do get launched under the bumps themselves.
- cutting open the toe box for your feet to move naturally. (I recommend cutting open the toe box of virtually all running shoes, with the exception of a few shoes like some Altra shoes. When you have some worn out shoes, you should try cutting open the toe box. I've found that it's a big improvement, allowing my toes to move naturally and engage for toe off, as well as reducing the possibility of blisters.) . The Cloudflash is shaped like many traditional shoes rather than being designed to fit the human foot. I'd recommend
- . The upper is really minimalist, and some think I'd associate with a shoe weighing less than half the amount. There is very little padding except for a tiny bit around the ankle opening. While I didn't have any specific problems, this is not a cushy or comfortable shoe by any means, and I'd expect better at this weight.
- . The Cloudflash has a boutique style tongue, though the attachment is part way down the tongue, so entry and exit are only slightly restricted. The tongue is unpadded and thin, and I found it tricky to put on without creasing.
- . The Cloudflash has thin flat laces that stay tied reasonably well.
- . The Cloudflash doesn't have a traditional hard plastic heel counter, or at least not one that I could detect. However, there is a lot of reinforcement around the heel that again reduced to the overall comfort.
This review was made possible by readers like you buying products via my links. I buy all the products I review through normal retail channels, which allows me to create unbiased reviews free from the influence of reciprocity, or the need to keep vendors happy. It also ensures I don't get "reviewer specials" that are better than the retail versions.
2 A Comparison with other Recommended Shoes
If you're looking for "the best of the best" running shoe, here are my top picks. Of course, the answer will depend a little on what you're looking for, so I have recommendations for various categories.
For a more detailed on running shoes see the Recommendations for Best Running Shoes. This table lists the key attributes of What to Look for in Running Shoes. For more detailed information, on the shoes see detailed shoe comparison.
|Saucony Type A Review||Saucony||A/A7||Recommended||$100||6.0||6.7||12.1||19||22||1||4.1||7|
|Saucony Type A6 Review||Saucony||A6||Highly Recommended||$100||7.7||6.1||9.5||17||21||4||4.7||7|
|Saucony Type A8 Review||Saucony||A8||Highly Recommended||$90||7.1||6.2||9.7||19||20||-1||4.4||7|
|Adidas Adios Boost 2 Review||Adidas||Adios||Worth considering||$140||4.4||8.6||13.4||17||27||11||3.8||6|
|Hoka Bondi 5 Review||Hoka||Bondi||Recommended||$150||5.7||11.6||18.1||38||42||5||6.7||2|
|Hoka Clayton 2 Review||Hoka||Clayton2||Highly Recommended||$150||8.6||8.3||12.9||23||28||1||7.1||5|
|Hoka Clifton 4 Review||Hoka||Clifton4||Worth considering||$130||7.2||9.3||14.5||30||35||10||6.7||3|
|ON Cloudflash Review||On Cloud||Cloudflash||Worth considering||$180||4.2||8.3||14.6||19||26||7||3.5||6|
|On Cloudracer Review||On Cloud||Cloudracer||Worth considering||$130||5.4||8.2||12.8||19||27||5||4.4||7|
|ON Cloud X Review||On Cloud||CloudX||Not recommended||$140||4.3||8.3||16.3||21||27||7||3.6||7|
|Mizuno Wave Cruise Review||Mizuno||Cruise||Worth considering||$120||6.3||5.9||12.5||17||20||7||3.7||6|
|Newton Distance IV Review||Newton||Distance||Worth considering||$155||7.1||9.1||14.2||26||31||3||6.4||5|
|Asics Gel DS Racer 10 Review||Asics||DS Racer||Worth considering||$110||7.8||7.0||10.9||21||26||6||5.4||5|
|Altra Duo Review||Altra||Duo||Recommended||$130||5.6||8.4||13.1||29||29||1||4.7||5|
|Mizuno Wave Ekiden 8 Review||Mizuno||Ekiden||Worth considering||$115||5.3||5.7||14.6||13||18||6||3.0||8|
|Saucony Endorphin 2 Review||Saucony||Endorphin 2||Worth considering||$115||7.5||5.1||9.6||15||13||-1||3.8||8|
|Adidas Energy Boost Review||Adidas||Energy||Worth considering||$160||6.8||10.0||15.6||20||30||7||6.8||5|
|Altra Escalante Review||Altra||Escalante||Best of the Best||$130||8.6||8.7||13.5||28||25||-1||7.5||6|
|Saucony Fastwitch Review||Saucony||Fastwitch||Highly Recommended||$90||9.0||7.1||11.1||20||22||4||6.4||7|
|Topo Fli-Lyte 2 Review||Topo||Fli-Lyte2||Highly Recommended||$100||6.4||9.1||14.2||24||26||3||5.8||5|
|Reebok Floatride Run Review||Reebok||Floatride||Worth considering||$150||7.2||9.6||14.9||28||34||10||7.0||5|
|Saucony Freedom Review||Saucony||Freedom||Recommended||$160||5.1||10.7||16.6||25||29||3||5.4||6|
|Skechers GORun 4 Review||Skechers||GORun||Not recommended||$100||5.7||7.5||11.7||15||23||3||4.3||7|
|Skechers GOrun Ultra 2 Review||Skechers||GRU||Worth considering||$90||7.1||10.0||15.6||28||34||8||7.1||4|
|Asics GT 2000 Review||Asics||GT 2000||Not recommended||$120||4.5||11.2||17.4||28||35||5||5.1||2|
|New Balance Hanzo S Review||New Balance||Hanzo||Worth considering||$110||7.1||6.9||10.7||21||19||2||4.9||5|
|Hoka Hupana Review||Hoka||Hupana||Recommended||$115||5.7||8.9||13.9||31||36||7||5.1||4|
|Asics Gel Hyper Speed 7 Review||Asics||Hyper Speed||Highly Recommended||$75||10.2||6.3||9.8||22||26||5||6.4||6|
|Altra Instinct 4.0 Review||Altra||Instinct 4.0||Worth considering||$120||5.7||9.8||15.3||29||25||-1||5.6||5|
|Asics Tarther Kainos 3 Review||Asics||Kainos||Worth considering||$130||9.4||6.9||10.7||17||27||9||6.4||6|
|Altra King MT||Altra||King MT||Recommended||$140||4.1||10.7||20.8||19||21||-1||4.4||5|
|Saucony Kinvara 8 Review||Saucony||Kinvara 8||Best of the Best||$110||8.8||8.6||13.4||26||31||3||7.5||5|
|Altra Lone Peak||Altra||Lone Peak||Highly Recommended||$120||4.9||11.4||17.7||23||25||-2||5.6||4|
|Nike Zoom Streak LT 3 Review||Nike||LT3||Best of the Best||$80||8.3||5.4||8.4||16||21||4||4.5||5|
|Nike Zoom Streak LT 4 Review||Nike||LT4||Recommended||$90||9.2||5.5||8.5||15||21||5||5.0||7|
|Nike LunarSpider R5 Review||Nike||LunarSpider||Recommended||$125||6.5||6.7||10.4||17||21||3||4.3||6|
|Hoka Mafate Speed Review||Hoka||Mafate||Highly Recommended||$170||7.1||11.9||18.5||39||40||4||8.5||1|
|Pearl Izumi EM Road N0 v2 Review||Pearl||N0||Highly Recommended||$100||7.5||6.5||10.1||14||20||4||4.9||8|
|Saucony Nomad Review||Saucony||Nomad||Worth considering||$110||4.1||10.5||17.2||25||27||2||4.3||4|
|Hoka Odyssey Review||Hoka||Odyssey||Highly Recommended||$130||8.0||9.4||14.6||37||45||5||7.5||3|
|Altra Olympus 2.5 Review||Altra||Olympus||Highly Recommended||$150||6.9||11.8||18.4||34||34||2||8.2||3|
|Altra One 3.0 Review||Altra||One||Recommended||$100||5.8||8.8||13.7||23||23||0||5.1||6|
|Asics Piranha SP 5 Review||Asics||Piranha||Recommended||$100||9.5||4.2||6.5||11||15||3||4.0||9|
|Brooks PureFlow 5 Review||Brooks||PureFlow||Worth considering||$110||5.7||9.7||15.1||26||29||5||5.5||8|
|Salming Race Review||Salming||Race||Worth considering||$130||6.5||6.5||10.1||16||19||4||4.2||6|
|New Balance RC1600 v2 Review||New Balance||RC1600||Highly Recommended||$110||8.3||5.6||8.7||15||21||5||4.6||8|
|New Balance RC5000v2 Review||New Balance||RC5000v2||Best of the Best||$125||13.4||4.0||6.2||13||21||6||5.4||7|
|Skechers GoRun Ride 3 Review||Skechers||Ride||Worth considering||$85||5.6||8.5||13.2||18||28||6||4.7||8|
|Nike RN Distance 2 Review||Nike||RNDist2||Worth considering||$120||7.6||9.2||14.3||25||28||4||7.0||7|
|Inov-8 RoadXTreme 220 Review||Inov-8||RXT-220||Worth considering||$120||4.9||8.0||18.2||14||17||3||3.9||8|
|Salomon Sense Ride Review||Salomon||Sense||Worth considering||$120||8.0||10.0||15.6||24||29||3||8.0||4|
|Altra Solstice Review||Altra||Solstice||Highly Recommended||$90||6.6||8.1||12.5||23||25||1||5.3||6|
|Topo ST-2 Review||Topo||ST-2||Highly Recommended||$90||7.7||7.3||11.4||20||18||0||5.7||7|
|Hoka Stinson Lite Review||Hoka||Stinson||Highly Recommended||$160||6.9||11.6||18.1||35||40||6||8.0||0|
|Altra Superior||Altra||Superior||Highly Recommended||$110||5.4||9.9||15.5||23||25||0||5.4||5|
|Adidas Takumi Sen 3 Review||Adidas||Takumi Sen 3||Highly Recommended||$160||7.3||6.6||10.2||17||21||4||4.8||5|
|Altra Timp Review||Altra||Timp||Best of the Best||$130||5.4||11.6||18.1||28||31||2||6.2||3|
|Altra Torin 2.0 Review||Altra||Torin||Worth considering||$125||5.4||9.6||14.9||28||25||-1||5.2||4|
|Hoka Tracer Review||Hoka||Tracer||Recommended||$130||6.8||7.4||11.5||21||24||2||5.0||5|
|Merrell Trail Glove 4 Review||Merrell||Trail Glove 4||Best of the Best||$100||3.2||8.4||23.8||13||13||0||2.7||10|
|Topo Tribute Review||Topo||Tribute||Recommended||$100||5.6||7.3||11.4||20||18||-1||4.1||6|
|Mizuno Wave Universe 5 Review||Mizuno||Universe||Highly Recommended||$125||10.1||3.1||10.6||9||12||1||3.1||9|
|Altra Vanish-R Review||Altra||Vanish-R||Recommended||$100||9.7||5.3||8.2||19||21||0||5.1||8|
|Merrell Vapor Glove 3 Review||Merrell||Vapor Glove 3||Highly Recommended||$85||2.0||6.1||27.6||6||5||0||1.2||10|
|Nike Vaporfly 4% Review||Nike||Vaporfly||Best of the Best||$250||9.8||7.2||11.2||25||37||8||7.1||2|
|New Balance Vazee Pace Review||New Balance||Vazee Pace||Worth considering||$110||5.6||8.6||13.4||18||24||6||4.9||5|
|Asics TartherZeal 3 Review||Asics||Zeal||Worth considering||$140||10.3||6.3||9.8||17||27||9||6.4||6|
|Saucony Zealot 3 Review||Saucony||Zealot3||Recommended||$130||8.4||9.5||14.8||29||32||4||8.0||6|
|Nike Zoom Fly Review||Nike||Zoom Fly||Worth considering||$150||7.8||8.7||0.0||29||36||8||6.8||3|
It's not a running shoe, but I love the Hoka Tor Ultra hiking boot and I've tested the Altra Lone Peak Boot, the Hoka Tor Speed 2, and the Inov-8 Roclite 325 hiking boots
Older shoe reviews: Saucony Hattori Review, Mizuno Cursoris Review, Skechers GO Bionic 2 Review, Hoka Clifton Review, Saucony Virrata 2 Review, Brooks PureCadence 3 Review, Brooks PureConnect 3 Review, Brooks PureFlow 3 Review, Skechers GO Bionic 2 Review, New Balance 980 Review, Brooks Transcend 2 Review, Hoka Huaka Review, Patagonia EVERlong Review, Asics 33-DFA Review, Hoka Conquest Review, Saucony Cortana Review, Puma Faas 100 R Review, Saucony Fastwitch Review, Nike Free Review, Asics Gel Lyte 33 Review, Skechers GOmeb Speed Review, Skechers GOrun Ultra Road Review, Nike LunaRacer Review, Altra Paradigm Review.